Sinusitis is a serious condition that impacts millions of Americans. For people who suffer with the pain of chronic sinus problems week after week and month after month, relief can be fleeting. Many do not respond to over-the-counter or prescription medications, and are often searching for something that can finally offer relief.
One procedure that has received attention recently is balloon sinuplasty. The procedure draws from the same life-saving technology used to treat cardiac patients, employing a catheter and balloon to open sinus passages to promote proper drainage.
It offers many advantages over more involved surgical procedures to treat chronic sinus issues, including:
- Local Anesthetic—this broadens the number of patients who might be eligible for the procedure, including those who cannot be under a general anesthetic.
- Short Recovery Times— This procedure offers shorter recovery times than some sinus procedures. This enables the patient to get back to their normal routine in a day or two.
- Comfort— The procedure is performed in a doctor’s office and not a hospital, helping patients avoid some of the anxiety.
- Patient Satisfaction— Many patients who have undergone the procedure would recommend it to family and friends.
- Lower Cost— The procedure may offer lower out-of-pocket balloon sinuplasty cost for many patients because of the lower cost-of-care since the procedure is performed in a doctor’s office.
Few specialists have more experience with this revolutionary procedure that Palm Beach balloon sinuplasty doctors Dr. Michael Schwartz and Dr. Joseph R. Zito. Dr. Schwartz was one of the first doctors to receive training in this innovative procedure when it was introduced, and Dr. Zito has a broad expertise in the latest techniques in a wide range of otolaryngological procedures and treatments.
A recent enhancement in balloon sinuplasty treatment has been the introduction or PROPEL technology. This new advancement involves the use of a dissolvable stent to hold sinus passages open after surgery. Over time, the stent dissolves, releasing anti-inflammatory medication to assist in the healing process.
In clinical trials, PROPEL has been shown safe and is the only sinus surgery product proven with level 1-A evidence as to its effectiveness and safety. It reduces scarring, inflammation, and polyps while also lowering the need for oral steroid medication or further surgery.
The effectiveness of balloon sinuplasty coupled with its shorter recovery times and lower cost combine to make it an attractive option for patients who face severe, chronic sinusitis. Every patient is an individual and every case is different, so consulting with qualified balloon sinuplasty doctors like Dr. Schwartz or Dr. Zito is important to determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure.